I was awkwardly tagged by no one but this tag sounds like fun, so. . .
1) What are your top three book pet hates?
A badly written character
Stupid relationships which includes instalove, love triangles (most of the time), and weirdly-possesive-stalkerish-guy in an unequal relationship with some girl portrayed as a healthy and normal relationship
an overload of cliche lines. If I have to read one more book describing some guy’s back, neck, chest, leg, or throat muscles again. . . ahem Cassandra Clare and among others as well.
2) Describe your perfect reading spot.
On my bed. But I have to squirm into a new position every other minute so it would a beanbag or a chair with my feet propped up another chair. I think those readings thingies in a bookshelf are pretty cool.
3) Tell us three book confessions.
1) Sometimes I accidentally damage my books. I feel really bad about it. Normally, it’s food or getting sucked into the black hole of my backpack and coming out pretty banged up.
2) I don’t like classics most of the time. I think the last one I did read was To Kill a Mockingbird, which was quite good. But the classics I stay away from are the ones that that are over a hundred years old. Sometimes though, if it is forced upon me to read then I’ll read it.
3) When people recommend books to me by talking to me about them, I’ll nod enthusiastically and completely forget about them the minute I stop talking to them. It’s the lack of the tangible book and being able to gauge the cover and blurb and other stuff that makes it so useless.
4) When was the last time you cried during a book?
When I read the Aviator’s Wife. It’s apparently a “book club” book. It gave me so many feels but also introduced me to the gender roles of 20th century America.
5) How many books are on your bedside table?
There’s currently one, Jepp, Who Defied the Stars. However, I have a headboard with two horizontal shelves and that has about 10 or so books.
6) What is your favorite snack to eat while reading?
I try not to eat while I’m reading in order to minimize the damage I inflict on my books already. I do enjoy a cup of coffee or tea though. I remember that one the highlights of my trip to Spain and Portugal was when I walked into the gorgeous cafe called Majestic Cafe and ordered a coffee and a scone. I sat and read a Dance of Dragons there for an hour, it was so beautiful. 🙂
7) Name three books you would recommend to anyone
– Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, because it was and still is my childhood.
– The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, it destroyed my feels and my American privilege unawareness bubble.
– The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
8) Show us a picture of your favorite shelf on your bookcase.
a little messy but I like it.
9) Write how much books mean to you in three words.
hmmmm…… escapism, perspective, feels. Books are just totally the shit.
10) What is your biggest reading secret?
I read the seventh Harry Potter book before sixth one. *Hides under the bed* oops.
I hope this was at least slightly entertaining. And happy 4th of july! 🙂